Many expecting mothers who contact our law firm feel “out of control,” and they aren’t sure what to do next. They are looking for answers, looking for signs, looking for advice – anything to help point them toward the right path while facing an unplanned pregnancy.
We’ve seen firsthand that the women who decide to pursue adoption with our firm begin to find the answers they are looking for. The more they learn about adoption, the more their lives start to slow down, and the more “in control” they begin to feel.
This begs the question – why do the women who do choose adoption begin to regain some of the control that has escaped them ever sense they learned of their unplanned pregnancies?
In our opinion, it is once they begin creating an adoption plan. Let us explain.
What Exactly is an Adoption Plan?
An adoption plan is a blueprint for precisely how to achieve a pregnant mother’s goals during the adoption process. Many of the women we work with have strong feelings about:
- selecting the right adoptive family, including where they live, what they look like, what they believe, what they like to do, and why they hope to adopt.
- having a future relationship with their child, whether through picture and letter updates or even yearly visits.
- getting to know the adopting family before the baby is born, whether through a mediated conference call, emails, or a personal meeting, or a combination of them all.
- receiving support throughout this adoption process, whether it’s direct contact several times per week or simply during the important steps of this journey. In addition, some moms like to take advantage of the use of a private, confidential counselor at no expense to them.
- choosing the people in her life who will be a part of her support team, whether it’s her parents, sister, a close friend, a pastor, or even the birth father if he is supportive.
- deciding what the hospital staywill look like, whether the adoptive family is very involved in the process or it is a more private experience solely between the birth family.
Each of these decisions adds up to an expecting mother’s adoption plan.
As you can probably tell, no two adoption plans are ever alike. Every pregnant mother has her own idea of what the perfect adoption looks like. And that’s where our social workers can help.
If you choose to pursue adoption with our firm, you will work with one of our trusted social workers throughout this process. She will get to know you, your goals, your comfort levels and everything in between to understand how best to achieve your ideal adoption.
Then, we will take your adoption plan and put it into action.
As a woman begins exploring her adoption plan, and as she begins to piece together the puzzle of her ideal adoption and future for her child, a sense of control begins to come back into her life. We hope the same for you, whichever decision you ultimately make.
If you are in a difficult spot and would like to learn more about what it means to make an adoption plan, we would love to hear from you. Remember, contacting us doesn’t obligate you to do anything, and your information is completely confidential.
To learn more about what it means to create an adoption plan, and how we will ensure your goals are met, contact us today.